Airfield search

Penston II

Major
Also known as: Penston Aerodrome / Penston Landing Ground / Penstone (misspelling) / RAF Penston / RFC Penston / Tranent
County: East Lothian
Current Status: Farmland / Woodland
Date: January 1917 - 1919 (notification of relinquishment 2 October)
Current Use: Disused
Used By: RAF / RFC
Landing Surface Types: Unpaved
Aircraft Roles: Fighter

The second and far more established airfield to be called Penston opened at the start of 1917 across the B6363 road from its briefly active predecessor. Although some dates over the next year and a quarter can be regarded in certain quarters as variable and open to debate, the airfield graduated fairly quickly from being a landing ground to a Flight Station in the summer of 1917 and then headquarters base for No 77 Squadron by April 1918. Royal Aircraft Factory BE2 and BE12 variants fighters initially employed Penston for Home Defence duties until the unit switched to using Avro 504Ks at the beginning of 1918, these aircraft remaining in service after the end of fighting.

No 77 Squadron later disbanded on 13 June 1919 and its home had closed before the end of the year. Since then the second Penston has become so forgotten that confusion still exists among many in thinking how Macmerry was the same airfield, despite being some considerable distance to the north-west.

 

The following organisations are either based at, use and/or have at least potentially significant connections with the airfield (as at 30/04/2017):

  • Macmerry & Gladsmuir Community Council

Main unit(s) present:

  • No 77 Sqn

undefined

Plan of Penston II. Courtesy of Ed Andrews

undefined

Plan of Penston I and II. Courtesy of Ed Andrews

Parent(s)/HQ Airfields(s):

Turnhouse

Home Defence Flight Station(s):

New Haggerston / Whiteburn

Home Defence Landing Ground(s):

Acklington (Southfields) / Cairncross / Charterhall (Eccles Tofts) / KilconquharMilfield (Woodbridge) / Old Heton / Skateraw / South Belton / South Kilduff / Tynehead

© 2018 ABCT All rights reserved.
Airfields of Britain Conservation Trust is registered in England and Wales. Registered Office: Suite 1, 3rd Floor, 11-12 St. James Square, London, SW1Y 4LB.
Registered Company No. 08940364. Registered Charity No (England and Wales): 1156877. Registered Charity No (Scotland): SC041123