|Also known as:||RAF Gifford / RFC Gifford|
|Date:||February 1917 - 1919 (notification of relinquishment 13 March)|
|Used By:||RAF / RFC|
|Landing Surface Types:||Unpaved|
Royal Aircraft Factory BE2 and BE12 variants fighters of No 77 Squadron initially had Gifford available to them as a Home Defence landing ground during World War One. The unit switched to using Avro 504Ks at the beginning of 1918, these aircraft remaining in service after the end of fighting.An usual feature of this airfield’s history was its name, in that the landing ground was originally known as Townhead (Gifford) until the title changed in September 1917 to become Gifford (Haddingtonshire).
- Gifford Community Council
Main unit(s) present:
- No 77 Sqn