Toller (Bridport) (Lyme Regis)
|Also known as:||RAF Toller|
|Date:||9 March 1918 - 6 February 1919|
|Used By:||RAF / RNAS|
|Landing Surface Types:||Unpaved|
|Aircraft Roles:||Maritime patrol|
Initially also known as Bridport, Toller was a mooring-out station for anti-submarine patrol non-rigid airships from Mullion. Situated in the woodland to the west of the village of Toller Porcorum, the site saw significant activity in the final months of World War One, but peacetime brought swift closure as with all other similar supportive airfields engaged in this role.
The following organisations are either based at, use and/or have at least potentially significant connections with the airfield (as at 01/09/2011):
- Bridport Library
- Powerstock and North Poorton Group Parish Council
- Toller Porcorum Parish Council
- Toller Porcorum Village Hall - where memorial plaque sited
Photographs of the plaque at Toller. Courtesy of Katharine Sheehan and Toller Porcorum Parish Council.