|Also known as:||Kinross|
|County:||Perth and Kinross|
|Date:||Opened 23 June 1957|
|Landing Surface Types:||Unpaved|
|Aircraft Roles:||General aviation|
Portmoak, on the shore of Loch Leven, has been home to the Scottish Gliding Union, later the Scottish Gliding Centre, since its opening in 1957. The Scottish Gliding Union was formed when a number of small gliding clubs merged, becoming a limited company in 1938.
The first gliding under this name was carried out from the Lomond Hills in Fife, with a base being established at East Feal Farm near Leslie before the Second World War. After the war, in 1946, soaring restarted using the airfield at Balado Bridge before that site was returned to military use in 1957 in a non-flying capacity as a satellite ground station. The need for a new site therefore led to the acquisition of land at Portmoak Farm that year, where a hangar and clubhouse were built. The opportunity to buy the remainder of the farm was taken up in 1967, expanding the airfield significantly.
Portmoak’s location gives easy access for ridge soaring using both Bishop and Benarty hills, in a variety of wind directions. Gliders are launched both by winch and aerotow. The club holds a number of records for both speed and distance and is the largest gliding club in Scotland.
The following organisations are either based at, use and/or have at least potentially significant connections with the airfield (as at 01/07/2013):
- Portmoak Community Council
Main unit(s) present:
- Edinburgh University GC
- Scottish Gliding Centre