Airfield search

Llandrindod Wells

Major
Also known as: Ddôle
County: Powys
Current Status: Open land
Date: 1920s - 1930s
Current Use: Disused
Used By: Civil
Landing Surface Types: Unpaved
Aircraft Roles: General aviation

The town’s former racecourse dating back to the 19th Century at Ddole witnessed a certain amount of regular flying between both world conflicts, following displays given by pioneer airman Gustav Hamel prior to World War One. The main driving force was local businessman Tom Norton, who created a striking building named The Automobile Palace from where he sold cars and cycles but also had visions of establishing aviation in the surrounding community. Records are spasmodic but South Wales Airways flew to Llandrindod Wells during the late 1920s, while a mixture of air displays and joy-riding in the next decade saw other visitors involved such as Sir Alan Cobham and Universal Aircraft Services, as hangarage was available by this time.

Today the airfield is now only a field, though there is one most unusual relic of sorts. The word ‘Aircraft’ is still visible at The Automobile Palace, which has become a listed building and is home to the National Cycle Museum.

 

ABCT would like to thank the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales for the use of their images. Find out more here: www.rcahmw.gov.uk and search their database here: www.coflein.gov.uk.

 

The following organisations are either based at, use and/or have at least potentially significant connections with the airfield (as at 01/09/2011):

  • Llandrindod Wells Library

Main unit(s) present:

  • South Wales Airways Ltd
  • Universal Aircraft Services Ltd
RCAHMW poster.jpeg

Poster advertising flying at Llandrindod Wells airfield, 1933. © Crown copyright: Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales.

© 2017 ABCT All rights reserved.
Airfields of Britain Conservation Trust is registered in England and Wales. Registered Office: 20-22 Bedford Row, London WC1R 4JS.
Registered Company No. 08940364. Registered Charity No (England and Wales): 1156877. Registered Charity No (Scotland): SC041123