|Also known as:||Anwick Landing Ground / RAF Anwick / RFC Anwick / Sleaford|
|Date:||October 1916 - 1919 (notification of relinquishment 13 March); (decoy - Ruskington) 19 June 1940 (earliest known date) - closed by 12 August 1942|
|Used By:||RAF / RFC|
|Landing Surface Types:||Unpaved|
Royal Aircraft Factory FE2b fighters of No 38 Squadron had Anwick available to them as a Home Defence landing ground during World War One until the unit moved to France in May 1918. A nucleus left behind enabled No 90 Squadron to form the following August, and its Avro 504K fighters remained in service after the end of fighting.
Anwick returned to aviation use in World War Two when it became a decoy airfield for Digby. The Q site lay on its extreme south-eastern edge, and was known as Ruskington, but is generally thought to have included the landing ground. What is the more recent private airstrip bearing Anwick’s name lies further away again to the south-east and much closer to the village.
The following organisations are either based at, use and/or have at least potentially significant connections with the airfield (as at 01/07/2013):
- Anwick Parish Council
- Ruskington Parish Council
Main unit(s) present:
- No 38 Sqn
- No 90 Sqn
Plan of Anwick (Ruskington). Courtesy of Ed Andrews